Friday, October 5, 2012

SfN Neuroblogging 2012: Introduction

SfN
The Cellular Scale is one of the official NeuroBloggers of the Society for Neuroscience annual meeting this year. You might have some questions, so let me answer them:

What is the Society for Neuroscience meeting?

The Society for Neuroscience annual meeting is the biggest neuroscience conference ever.  It is attended by about 30,000 people each year, and there are about 20,000 presentations (including posters).  It's like a gigantic science fair. 

one tiny corner of SfN
How often will I be blogging?

I am planning to post at least once a day about interesting posters or talks I see or events I attend during the actual meeting (October 13th-17th). These posts won't be super in-depth in terms of the science, but I plan to write a whole bunch of follow up posts after the meeting delving deeper into the most interesting science.

What will I be blogging about? 

SfN is divided up into themes. I don't know about you, but I have never put much thought into the 'theme' I wanted to visit during the meeting. In fact I am not quite certain which theme my own poster is in.  But regardless, the official bloggers are also organized by theme and The Cellular Scale will be covering themes B and D.

Theme B: Neural Excitability, Synapses, and Glia: Cellular Mechanisms.
   This is a good match for this blog because I've already discussed many of the sub-topics in this theme, such as synaptic plasticity, glia-neuronal interactions, and other weird things about cells.

Theme D: Sensory and Motor Systems
    This is also a good match because I love to blog about the senses at a cellular level. See these links for posts about the cells involved in vision, hearing, taste and smell.

So these themes are what I am 'officially' covering, but I plan to blog about the most interesting science even if it falls under another category.

What else?

I am going to index all the "SfN Neuroblogging" posts in a tab at the top of the page so you can easily get to all of them.

I will also be tweeting the meeting as they say, so follow me @cellularscale on twitter for up-to-the-minute updates.

If you have any questions that I didn't answer here, add a comment and I will try to answer it.

© TheCellularScale




No comments:

Post a Comment